AVI files via Chromecast do not work!

• Trying to play via my apple timecapsule server, it show up the file name but fails. That happens for all AVI files. Please fix it as I bought an expensive app for this purpose and do not work

• The Chromecast's playing principle is, if nPlayer sends a file to the Chromecast, playback is done by the Chromecast. Not all videos and audios available on nPlayer can be played on Chromecast but only those that meet the standard of Chromecast can be. nPlayer support all video formats(MKV, AVI, MP4, etc) including H.264 video codec when using Chromecast. Please check the video codec.

• @DannyL said in AVI files via Chromecast do not work!:

Trying to play via my apple timecapsule server, it show up the file name but fails. That happens for all AVI files. Please fix it as I bought an expensive app for this purpose and do not work

Duh-ish, the Chromecast doesn't more than two file types and 1 codec, as it states on google's website. Some programs can remux: Convert the file type without transforming video inside it (like changing a zip to a rar file with the same contents (which boils down to ownership/licensing-costs, and extra abilities like subtitles built in, chapter markers, multiple audio tracks, ID name fields for documentation storage, etc.) but nplayer wouldn't be able to use remote sources without processing all data on your device, and then sending it all back out to the google cast device.

• Too bad, they ((nPlayer)) could cheat like videostream, [which uses FFMPEG, already an open source and available GPL program compilable under ios] decoding XVID, x264, HEVC, all ends up with the same MPEG output - which could be incorrectly labeled as poorly compressed x264 passing through the chromecast decoder effortlessly and being rendered. Slightly faster than watching the same video on the device itself, unless its network connection can't handle that much data on its wifi connection at the same time.

Most AVI's use incompatible video types to cast anyway, even with remuxing the file type - mostly xvid. Google didn't pay the cost for a hardware decoder that could do much more than, x264 L4.1 1080P 60hz (aka fps), and Divx h.263 (I suspect it's a divx licenced hardware decoder for h.264 used, so it's backwards compatible from being an updated version of the same decoder - also since it's not listed on googles developers site for compatibility) Divx is often seen in avi, so convertable into a compatible file format can be done quickly/easily beforehand on your own if desired (only .mkv and .mp4 files for the CC2). Other than the decoder it runs html5 and I think one or two other light web standards for management purposes only with the slowest cpu capable, late 90's era might do fine, why do you think it cost $30 new 2+ years ago? a windows 10 phone cost the same price new at the same time, and it could easily do all this software-only. With a screen. HEVC at 1080P if not 4k. =)

• @nPlayer-mania said in AVI files via Chromecast do not work!:

The Chromecast's playing principle is, if nPlayer sends a file to the Chromecast, playback is done by the Chromecast. Not all videos and audios available on nPlayer can be played on Chromecast but only those that meet the standard of Chromecast can be. nPlayer support all video formats(MKV, AVI, MP4, etc) including H.264 video codec when using Chromecast. Please check the video codec.

Just occured to me, I think the original CC1 supported AVI, its hardware was mostly identical and it had a lot more cache ssd on board. Guarantee it had a lot of limits on file types and codecs though - if he did mean a CC1.