issue using ftp on external drive

• I have been using nplayer for quite some time now. I usually use it as a upnp client for my raspberry pi.. I recently wanted to use nplayer to access an external hard drive attached to my pi from my work network, using FTP. However, i'm getting an error message reading: 'Access denied to remote resource'.

Can you guys help me out?

I know this is not a firewall issue because i can access my user's local directory (e.g., /home/nolan) via FTP using nplayer-- i just can't access the external drive (i.e., /media/THUMBDRIVE). This also rules out vsftpd config weirdness.

I know this is not a permissions issue because i can access the external drive using an FTP client on my computer. I can also SFTP into the external drive using nplayer.

Now, i know i could just use SFTP, but its just so much slower. And i know i could just copy whatever i want to watch to the home directory, but that's kludgey and not my style.

The above results lead me to suspect that there's something strange going on with nplayer itself -- not the server, or my network. I'd really appreciate it if you guys could point me in the right direction.

Looks like your connection to nPlayer Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.