can't stream local content to Chromecast

• Hi there,

I can't stream my local content from my iPad to Chromecast. It's no problem with content that is inside my network on a NAS, but local content isn't possible. What do I do wrong?

• COMMUNITY REP

@Lucas-Pfaff
    See which codec support Chromecast https://developers.google.com/cast/docs/media

Have your media files this requirement?

My device for Bug-Report:
    iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1

• Hi there Fixed,

please have a look here: http://imgur.com/a/p58Uu
    The only difference is that in the screenshot where I can send to Chromecast the file is on my NAS, and on the other it's local on my iPad. So I don't get the option to stream it!

The file in this example is an h264 level 3.1 (main), with AAC sound which is totally doable for Chromecast. I mean I can stream it, but not local from my iPad! :(

• COMMUNITY REP

@Lucas-Pfaff
    Can you test with Hardware as decoder for local file.

iPad and Chromecast in same network?

Need more details e.g iPad model + iOS version?

iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1

• Hi there Fixed,

I can't choose Hardware as decoder, only Quicktime?
    With the file from my NAS, I can choose Software or Hardware.

iPad, Chromecast and NAS are in the same network of course, as I can already stream from the NAS

It's an iPad mini 1st Gen, iOS 8.1.1

• COMMUNITY REP

@Lucas-Pfaff
    In the playback can you select Hardware or Software as decoder.

You always need Hardware?
    Settings -> Video -> H.264 Decoder -> Hardware
    Settings -> Video -> MPEG-4 Decoder -> Hardware

iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1

• I set it to hardware and also deactivated the QuickTime Plug in (I think the menu might be called 'playback', I don't have English nplayer and can't switch the used language (which could also be a nice feature))

Still when I play back this file, in the upper right corner is only 'Q/T' and I also can't change it. On the same file on the Nas I can.

• COMMUNITY REP

@Lucas-Pfaff
    Need sample. You can upload to cloud and then post here the Download link

iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1

• I uploaded the very same clip for you: http://lucloud.fuke.it/index.php/s/AnKPI2Fci9QWWOq

What I don't get is, why can I choose Hardware/Software for network media, but not for local? And why does it work with network, but not local?
    I feel like the error is not within the file as it works, as long as its not on my iPad itself

• administrators

@Lucas-Pfaff
    nPlayer cannot cast videos in iTunes or Album to Chromecast as they are limited to be available on QuickTime.

• Huh, that's good to know.

Don't get me wrong, but why isn't stuff like this mentioned detailed up front BEFORE I buy the app? I neither found a documentation, nor an information - only "Chromecast support".
    So far, this app does exacly nothing what I intended to do with it, and that is a bit of a bummer regarding the price point (for an app, that is).

Is this feature ever considered to get delivered? Because if Chromecast only works with network-data, I don't need nPlayer for my iPad :/

• COMMUNITY REP

@Lucas-Pfaff
    Add your video files in nPlayer local. Please not album or iTunes. Thx ^^

iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1

• Hi there Fixed,

can you guide me how to do that? I can't find any documentation on this :(

• administrators

@Lucas-Pfaff
    You can cast local videos to Chromecast on nPlayer. What I mean by local is Documents of App. You can download videos on the network connected, transfer via wi-fi or save in Documents from iTunes and cast the saved videos to Chromecast. We are not able to provide you with technical service for videos in Album or iTunes without using QuickTime as we do not have a direct access to the videos.

About File Sharing on iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201301

• Hey there,

allright that did the trick! :)
    I'm sorry I didn't though it was the only way. May there come up some documentation in the future so we can read such thiungs through? :)

• Agreed. I spent an hour of my time finding this solution. Connect your iphone to itunes, select your iphone icon, select apps, scroll down, click nplayer, to the right click add file, choose your mp4 file. On the iphone open nplayer app, under local you should see the folders Album, iTunes and your sync'd mp4 file. Now it will play in chromecast.