Bug discovered in nPlayer Plus (+ proof) - image shaking!

• I discovered a bug while trying to play a video I created yesterday with Sony Vegas.

This is happening with nPlayer Plus 3.10.5.7 for iOS. The last one. I am also using iOS 12.1.1, in the iPAD PRO 10.5. Which means LAST nPlayer and last iOS.

Download this video and try to run in nPlayer:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Fp5lUOe5rrX_ACxPJKeRl-lnvOWNgYnz/view

This is the file that shows the bug. Don't try to stream, download the entire file instead.

And this is the video displaying the bug, which I uploaded to Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mr9rLVE2nic

As you can see nPlayer shakes the entire image, while the 2nd player (with an old version) does not.

I also invite you to see the same file uploaded to Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhqEtaL0fx4

Again another proof there's nothing wrong with it. This is nPlayer's fault. I hope you guys can discover the bug and fix it in the next update.

• In case there's any doubt about the specs from the video which causes the image to shake:

General
    Complete name :
    Format : MPEG-4
    Format profile : Base Media
    Codec ID : iso4 (iso4/hvc1)
    File size : 72.1 MiB
    Duration : 24 s 942 ms
    Overall bit rate mode : Variable
    Overall bit rate : 24.2 Mb/s
    Encoded date : UTC 2018-12-17 01:09:53
    Tagged date : UTC 2018-12-17 01:09:53

Video
    ID : 1
    Format : HEVC
    Format/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding
    Format profile : Main@L4.1@High
    Codec ID : hvc1
    Codec ID/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding
    Duration : 24 s 942 ms
    Bit rate : 24.0 Mb/s
    Width : 1 920 pixels
    Height : 1 080 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate mode : Constant
    Frame rate : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.484
    Stream size : 71.5 MiB (99%)
    Language : English
    Codec configuration box : hvcC

Audio
    ID : 2
    Format : AAC LC
    Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec Low Complexity
    Codec ID : mp4a-40-2
    Duration : 24 s 875 ms
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Bit rate : 192 kb/s
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Channel layout : L R
    Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
    Frame rate : 46.875 FPS (1024 SPF)
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Stream size : 592 KiB (1%)
    Language : English

I also tried enabling post processing, to see if things would change. No luck.

It's only nPlayer which plays this specific video shaking, as if there was an earthquake.

• administrators

It seems it's the issue about playing with QT/HW decoder. Please do a test it with other apps which support QT/HW playing. And test it with SW decoder.

• The problem has been fixed after I told nPlayer to only use software for HEVC instead of Auto, which is the default setting. I had to go to settings because nPlayer doesn’t remember when I reopen this file, so it shakes again. Using software for HEVC fixes the problem.

I have no idea, though, if using software for HEVC will cause issues with other files. I tested in infuse pro 4.3.7, released exactly one year ago, and it played this file without any issue. But I prefer nPlayer and think it’s a better player.

This infuse version also doesn’t say which settings is using and doesn’t allow any change for this file, it plays the way it does and that’s it.

• OK, I just found which videos will suffer from this: all 4K ones recorded by my iPad Pro 10.5 will never play fine with software as the decoder. They are all HEVC@4K/2160p.

The image will stutter and there is going to be pixelation. Changing to hardware fixes the problem.

That’s too bad... I’ll have to change to Auto in settings again. Which means this Google Drive video will shake when reopened, and force me to change the setting every time. I have many 4K mp4 videos and only this one (1080p, from Google Drive) shaking.

Looks like your connection to nPlayer Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.